Cloud-based developer platform
The developer platform of a large business unit (~ 200 developers) should be accessible for other business units. The extension project serves as model for a cross-company cloud-based developer platform (~ 20.000 employees with a high percentage of external IT specialists). This implied to enhance the access of a single-site platform in southern Germany for teams throughout Europe while ensuring compliance:
- Ensuring segregation enforced by legal requirements - data from one nation may not be exposed to another project.
- Building up a support desk that is able to "onboard project" within a few days, targeting a few hours.
- Integration of external services that new teams (from other business units) bring in.
- Starting a local cloud service and moving services into it.
- Stabilizing a VMware-based sandbox environment for regular updates and enforced OS hardening.
- Definition of a role-group concept to be pushed through Crowd to all platform applications ensuring segregation.
- "Onboarding project" concept including questionnaires that allow for base applications like JIRA / Confluence / Bitbucket to be handled in minutes by the service desk.
- Independence from back-office VMware provisioning by moving per-project services (e.g. Jenkins, Sonarqube) into Kubernetes clusters.
- Integration of the self-managed Kubernetes clusters for general one shot slave usage by teams and supporting them to change their builds.
- Migration / integration support for existing Jenkins jobs and source code in Subversion, ClearCase.
- Support for company strategy group with their global hybrid cloud (was OpenShift, to be AzureStack).
- Going multi-site to help teams in other nations, including Nexus services with proxy entries spread over sites.
- Starting an automated test suite to support regular (at least monthly) updates of all developer support application servers.
Function overview of the stack.
© ASERVO Software GmbH